Our libraries are operating a Connect and Collect service and accepting book returns - for more information see our Connect and Collect webpage. You can still join online to access our digital library services including eBooks, eAudiobooks, digital magazines, comics, newspapers and online information services!
Open up a world of opportunity by joining your local library.
You can join online using the online forms on the right of this page, or by visiting your local library. When you apply online, you will need to collect your membership card from your chosen library.
When you collect your member card, you will need to provide a form of proof of your name and address. This documentation can be one of the following:
- Utility bill
- Driving license
Once your membership card has been issued, you can use this straight away in any of the East Dunbartonshire Libraries and using our online services. Our online services allow you to use a wide selection of free online services. These services include free downloadable audiobooks, eBooks and digital magazines, these can be accessed remotely from your own computer, tablet or smartphone.
Children and young people under 16 must have their membership counter-signed by a parent or guardian when collecting their card.
What can I borrow?
Adult library members can borrow up to:
- 10 Books ( including audiobooks and language courses)
- 6 Compact Discs
- 4 DVDs (Borrowers must be aged 16 or over to hire DVDs and CDs)
- 1 Console game
There is a small hire charge for audio visual items.
Children and Young People can borrow up to:
10 Books ( including audiobooks)
1 console game (if you are under 16, bring your parent/carer to the library and they will be asked to complete a Games Lending Permission form on your behalf)
How long can I keep them?
- Books / CDs - up to 3 weeks
- DVDs - weekly hire
- Console games – weekly hire
Can I keep them longer?
Items may be renewed in person, online or by telephone. Unless requested by another reader. Dvd and CD renewals will require an additional hire charge. Fines are charged if items are not returned or renewed on time.
Concessionary rates for requests and fines exemptions are available if you receive any of the following benefits. Bring along some proof of eligibility and staff can update your record.
- Job Seekers Allowance / Universal Credit
- Employment Support Allowance / Universal Credit
- Income Support / Universal Credit
- Housing Benefit / Universal Credit
- Council Tax Rebate / Reduction
- Working Tax Credit / Universal Credit
- Carer’s Allowance
- Severe Disablement Allowance
- Disability Living / Attendance Allowance/Personal Independence Payment
- Long-Term Incapacity Benefit
- War Disablement Pension
- Widows / Widowed Parent / Bereavement Allowance
Children and young people under 16 do not pay overdue charges.