Bishopbriggs local history
Bishopbriggs shares certain elements of its history with Kirkintilloch and others with Lenzie. Like Kirkintilloch it was a roadside village on a major highway from Glasgow to the east, the line of which is preserved by Crowhill Road, and the 'Low Road' north of Bishopbriggs Cross (less clearly seen since the building of The Triangle). Like Lenzie it enjoyed the benefit of a railway station from 1842, when the main Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway was opened. As at Lenzie, free "villa tickets" were granted to persons building large houses near the station during the 1850s (in Springfield Road).
Unlike Lenzie, however, Bishopbriggs also had a fairly large working-class population during the nineteenth century, employed in the extensive quarries at Crowhill, Huntershill and Kenmure, which provided the City of Glasgow with sandstone for its tenements and other buildings. The workers were housed in tenements at Colston and in the rows known as The Diggings close to Bishopbriggs Cross. Later, a significant working population was employed at Cadder Colliery and housed in miners' rows at Mavis Valley and Jellyhill.
During the twentieth century Bishopbriggs reasserted itself as a desirable place of residence for Glasgow commuters. Large villas were built in Kirkintilloch Road, around the turn of the century, and there was further significant construction of private housing during the Inter-War period (although a planned "Garden City" at Cadder did not then develop as intended). It was only during the 1950s and 1960s, however, that population growth took place on a large scale, with the creation of extensive residential estates. The resultant demand for autonomy of local government led to the establishment of the Burgh of Bishopbriggs, which lasted from 1964 until the Local Government Reorganisation of 1975. Local residents then successfully campaigned to be excluded from the new City of Glasgow District, and Bishopbriggs was instead located with Kirkintilloch , Lenzie and other towns and villages in Strathkelvin, for the next twenty-one years. Since 1996 Bishopbriggs has been part of East Dunbartonshire.