Milngavie local history
The town of Milngavie (pronounced 'mill-guy') is in the former Parish of New Kilpatrick, created by the division of the old Parish of Kilpatrick in 1649. Although most of the parish was in Dunbartonshire, Milngavie was for many years in Stirlingshire. The anomaly was removed in 1891, with the transfer of Milngavie to Dunbartonshire. The town was by then a police burgh, a status achieved in 1875. A great deal of interest has centred on the origin of the name "Milngavie," partly because of the unusual pronunciation. The "Miln" is undoubtedly the town's familiar mill on the Allander, but agreement has yet to be reached on the latter part of the name (should it be 'Gavin' or 'Davie'?).
In former times Milngavie was notable for its variety of industry. At different times, over the years, there was a linen mill, bleach works at Clober, Craigallian and Craigton, a calico printfield near the site of the present railway station, a distillery at Tambowie, and a dye works at Burnbrae, while on a site just north of the town centre there was a cotton mill and later a paper mill.
The local Mugdock and Craigmaddie reservoirs, fulfil an important role in the supply of water to the city of Glasgow.
With the decline of its traditional industries, Milngavie has acquired a reputation similar to that of Bearsden, as a pleasant place for members of the city business and professional community to establish their homes. Milngavie station was opened as long ago as 1863, yet the local railway still fulfils its intended purpose of transporting large numbers of local people into the city each day.